Types of Charitable Gifts to Support Michigan 4-H
Donors can choose from a variety of charitable gifts to support Michigan 4-H.
Outright gifts such as cash, securities, stock and personal property/gifts-in-kind can provide immediate support for 4-H and tax benefits to the donor.
- Cash donations to the Michigan 4-H Foundation can be made:
- As pledge payments (in payments for up to 5 years).
- As memorial or tribute gifts.
- As monthly gifts through an automatic electronic funds transfer of money from the donor’s bank account to the foundation’s bank account.
- Payment can be by cash, check, credit or debit card. Credit/debit card donations can be made online.
- The foundation can receive gifts of securities and stock. Contact the foundation for gift instructions.
- The foundation can also receive in-kind gifts, including certain gifts of valuable property or assets such as residences, farmland, equipment and agricultural products (i.e. grain) for which the foundation has a use in connection with its mission.
When making a gift of agricultural product:
- Determine the amount of agricultural product (i.e. grain) you want to donate to support Michigan 4-H.
- Consult with your tax adviser to determine and confirm the tax impact and/or benefit of your gift.
- Notify the grain storage facility that you are delivering product in the name of and that will be owned by the Michigan 4-H Foundation.
- Notify the Michigan 4-H Foundation of your gift-in-kind. Written documentation needs to provide the weight and type of product (providing a copy of the weight ticket is ideal), evidence of your gift allocation to the Michigan 4-H Foundation, the name and address of the facility where the product is stored with contact information, and the 4-H program or purpose that you want your gift to support.
- The IRA Charitable Rollover allows traditional or Roth IRA owners – aged 70½ years or older – to make an annual tax-free distribution from an IRA directly to a charity, such as the Michigan 4-H Foundation.
Planned gifts are future gifts to support 4-H. Types of planned gifts can include:
- Life income gifts such as charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder unitrusts and charitable remainder annuity trusts continue to give back and provide current income to the donor and/or beneficiaries.
- Revocable gifts such as bequests, revocable living trusts and qualifying retirement plan assets are flexible gifts that can be changed.
- Other gift vehicles include retained life estate, charitable lead trust and paid life insurance.
- The Michigan 4-H Foundation can also be named as the charitable beneficiary of the remaining assets in an IRA, 401(k), 403(b) and other pension plans, offering income tax benefits to the donor.
The A.G. Kettunen Society honors donors that have documented planned gifts with the Michigan 4-H Foundation. This society ensures the continued and long-term viability of Michigan 4-H Youth Development and honors the legacy of Arne G. Kettunen, state 4-H club leader from 1925 to 1956 and the founding state leader of the Michigan 4-H Foundation. Learn more.
If you are interested in making a non-cash gift or to establish an endowment, please contact the Michigan 4-H Foundation at (517) 353-6692 to verify that your gift intention can be met. Consulting with personal legal counsel and/or a tax adviser for definitive assessment of the tax benefits of and limitations on planned gifts is also recommended.