Michigan 4-H Outbound International Travel Scholarship Awards
Deadline to apply: February 1
These scholarships are awarded to 4-H youth who have applied and been accepted to travel as part of a Michigan 4-H-sponsored outbound international travel experience. These travel scholarships are made possible by the Michigan 4-H International Endowment Fund created with gifts from Michigan 4-H exchange alumni and friends of 4-H international programs and with support from the Michigan Division, Woman’s National Farm and Garden Association.
Scholarship applications are only made available to 4-H members approved for international travel each 4-H program year. Four (4) $1,000 travel scholarships are available for travel experiences.
All scholarship recipients must fulfill several requirements once they return from their host country. A contract is signed. Any participant that fails to fulfill the requirements in the contract or to make alternative fulfillment plans will be responsible for repaying the entire scholarship amount.
All outbound delegates are expected to complete a program evaluation when they return from their host country. All program evaluations are due to the Michigan 4-H international exchange coordinator by Sept. 1 of the travel year.
Scholarships are available as follows:
- One $1,000 travel scholarship available per year for up to four 4-H travelers. Traveler must be enrolled in 4-H during travel year.
- Scholarship recipients are awarded $750 pre-travel and reimbursed the final $250 after all reporting and documentation requirements have been fulfilled.
Requirements for all scholarship award recipients to be completed by the deadline indicated below:
- Sept. 1 – Evaluation completed.
- Sept. 15 – Write a paper (1-2 pages or more) about their experience participating in this program to be used in an MSU Extension news article. Submit at least two good photos with the paper to the Michigan 4-H international exchange coordinator.
- Oct. 1 – Develop a display poster on your experience. This should include photos and information about your experience to be used as part of presentations or displayed at events.
- Oct. 15 – Give a talk/report to two or more groups in your county. These may include 4-H groups, service clubs (i.e. Kiwanis, Rotary), school classrooms, etc.
- Date TBD – Each scholarship recipient is asked to attend and do a presentation at a Woman’s National Farm and Garden Association, Michigan Division International Tea. These take place annually in late summer or early fall. Specific tea dates and locations will be provided in the award announcement.
- Oct. 30 – Deadline to submit receipts of documented travel expenditures for reimbursement equal to total scholarship amount.