Michigan 4-H Outbound International Travel Scholarship Awards
Deadline to apply: February 15
These scholarships are awarded to 4-H youth who have applied and been accepted to travel as part of a Michigan 4-H sponsored outbound international travel experience such as Labo, Poland, Belize or other Michigan 4-H sponsored international travel opportunities. These travel scholarships are made possible by the Michigan 4-H International Endowment Fund created with gifts from Michigan 4-H exchange alumni and friends of 4-H international programs and with support from the Michigan Division, Woman’s National Farm and Garden Association, raised annually through their International Tea.
Scholarship applications are only made available to 4-H members approved for international travel each 4-H program year. Four (4) $1,000 travel scholarships are available for travel experiences.
All scholarship recipients must fulfill several requirements once they return from their host country. A contract is signed. Any participant that fails to fulfill the requirements in the contract or to make alternative fulfillment plans will be responsible for repaying the entire scholarship amount.
All outbound delegates are expected to complete a program evaluation when they return from their host country. All program evaluations are due in the State 4-H Office by September 1 of the travel year.
Scholarships are available as follows:
- One $1,000 travel scholarship available per year for up to four 4-H travelers. Traveler must be enrolled in 4-H during travel year.
- Scholarship recipients are awarded $750 pre-travel and reimbursed the final $250 after all reporting and documentation requirements have been fulfilled.
Requirements for all scholarship award recipients to complete by December 1 of travel year:
- Write an article (1-2 pages or more) on one or more concepts learned through this program. Submit at least two good photos with the article to the 4-H international exchange coordinator.
- Develop a display poster on your experience. This should include photos and information telling about your experience to be used as part of your talks and presentations.
- Give a talk/report to two or more groups in your county. These may include 4-H groups, service clubs (i.e. Kiwanis, Rotary), school classrooms, etc.
- Each scholarship recipient is asked to attend and do a presentation at a Woman’s National Farm and Garden Association, Michigan Division International Tea. These take place annually in late summer or early fall. Specific tea dates and locations will be provided in the award announcement.
- After travel is completed, submit receipts of documented travel expenditures equal to total scholarship amount.
If you prefer to download the application, click here.