Statewide 4-H Learning Experience
Deadline to apply: June 1, 2023
Funds to be spent: July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024
Statewide 4-H learning experience sponsorship requests are accepted from April 1– June 1 each year.
- Statewide or national 4-H youth and adult learning experiences, workshops and trainings are eligible to apply for the sponsorship. Statewide indicates registration for the 4-H event is open to participants from any county.
- The 4-H event coordinator must complete the 4-H Learning Experience Sponsorship Request Form by June 1 of the prior fiscal year.
- 4-H event coordinators should submit one funding application form for each educational learning experience.
- Programs or events with a designated donor or sponsor are eligible to apply for additional funds.
- Must be a multi-day event or experience.
- Priority will be given to events that:
- Engage diverse audiences.
- Contribute toward one or more of the four priorities in the CYI Strategic Plan:
- DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion)
- External Partnerships
- Program Excellence
- Scholarship Excellence
- Sponsorship amounts may be adjusted annually based on need and available funds.
- Event coordinators will need to request funding by filling out the online form below by June 1 of the prior year (ex. June 1, 2022 for the 2022-23 fiscal year).
- Funds needs to be requested by June 1, ahead of the 2022-23 fiscal year that begins July 1, so that a budget may be set.
- Knowing what programs are planning for the coming year will allow the Michigan 4-H Foundation to sustain existing and grow new youth and volunteer learning experiences.
This allows Michigan 4-H Foundation:
- Time to adjust the sponsorship amount, if needed, before the program year begins.
- Opportunity to identify a donor for a specific event being planned based on content area.
Note that donor gifts designated for a specific program or event are appropriated for the event to honor the donor’s intent.
Each year, Michigan 4-H Youth Development Professionals host a number of statewide and national skill-building workshops and events to teach methods, share new ideas, and offer learning opportunities to 4-H youth and volunteers.
The Michigan 4-H Foundation has historically sponsored statewide workshops and learning experiences, reducing the cost for 4-H youth, volunteers and staff to attend. This discount (previously referred to as subsidy) is provided by the generous gifts from donors, endowment fund earnings and general fund support from the Michigan 4-H Foundation.
Procedure for Funding Requests Outside of Grant Cycle
If a new or revised 4-H learning opportunity surfaces after the application deadline, please contact the state 4-H leader and finance director for discussion/to submit a grant request. We still wish to inspire new growth and innovation in 4-H opportunities offered to youth and do not want to limit new ideas that may emerge at any time.
- 4-H program staff in need of funding outside of the grant cycle should submit a grant request either online or by email to the finance director/communications manager.
- The finance director/communications manager will forward the request for review as follows below.
- The state 4-H leader, and if possible, a Program Committee member or chair, will review the application for funding and decide whether to award support based on available funds.
- If funding is awarded, the finance director will notify 4-H program staff of the amount of the grant awarded and how to access the funds by reimbursement.
- If funding is not awarded, the finance director will notify 4-H program staff of the reason the request was denied.
- The state 4-H leader will then report back to the Michigan 4-H Foundation Program Committee at its next meeting any grants requested and/or funded since the previous Program Committee meeting.
Grant Expenditure Extensions
- If 4-H program staff are unable to complete the project in the timeframe initially requested, they may request an extension of the grant due to extenuating circumstances.
- The state 4-H leader and finance director will review all grant extension requests and may elect to extend the awarded funding into the next period or program year.
- Any extensions will be reported back to the Michigan 4-H Foundation Program Committee at its next meeting.